Arctic Devil (2019)
Midnight Sun Brewing Co.
Find and rate beers like this on the Tavour app!
A Note on This Beer
The only thing longer than Bourbon Barrel-Aged Arctic Devil English-style Barleywine’s name, is its monstrous list of praise!
Seriously, just take a glance at this impressive resume and you’ll start to understand why this once-a-year release from Alaska’s Midnight Sun Brewing is so coveted:
- Ranked #8 Best English Barleywine on BeerAdvocate with a massive 97/100 rating.
- Out of 62 submissions, Paste Magazine placed Arctic Devil as #14 in their Blind Taste Test, with a higher ranking than Goose Island’s Bourbon County and The Bruery’s White Oak!
- Our members have already given this 2019 vintage a wide-eyed 4.30-rating!!
Ok, but maybe you’re one of those craft fans who isn’t impressed by a trophy case full of awards. Instead, you want to know what this world-class pour tastes like, huh? Well, hold on to your hat, buddy:
- Arctic Devil aged for 11 months in Woodford Reserve Double Oak barrels, imparting layers of rich toffee depth.
- Crack open a bottle of this fiendish brew and the room will fill with thick aromas of bourbon and flowing caramel. The 13.2% ABV screams with cognac-drenched, candied apricots, fortifying you with the boozy strength to traverse the unforgiving Alaskan wilderness.
- Its boozed-up body of crystallized brown sugar and dark fruits is perfect for cellaring, which will smooth the flavors and soft vanilla from the bourbon barrels over time and mellow the alcohol heat.
Do we have your attention now?
Good, because if you want to score this famed Barleywine, you better grab your prize right now! Otherwise, it’ll be at least another year before this sought-after beast crosses your path again.
Rated 97/100 on BeerAdvocate; 4.30 on Tavour
Tavour strictly supports independent beer. Midnight Sun Brewing Co. is certified independent by the Brewers Association