Anchorage Brewing Company
Add your rating on the Tavour app.
A Note on This Beer
The Lowdown: This, my friends, is THE world’s #1 ranked Belgian IPA (BA). From Anchorage. Yes, please! Bear with us, this beer’s got a lot to say - we’re going to break it down for you. Here’s the tale of Bitter Monk:
- What it tastes like: A tart, nectarine splash of oak-aged IPA. Just the right amount of wild funk and fruit notes from Apollo, Simcoe and Citra hops encapsulate the ever-changing Belgian IPA style.
- Biggest Surprise: This beer is triple fermented! First in French oak foudres with a Belgian golden ale yeast, second in french oak chardonnay barrels with Brett, and finally in the bottle for natural carbonation for a complex funkiness and boozy 9% ABV finish.
- Acclaim: “This is outrageous! The contribution from the Chardonnay barrel aging is quite prevalent as well as the hops (Simcoe and Citra). The Brett is also a big player in the aroma.” @Threeview via Untappd where it’s rated 4.08. Also 4.32 on BeerAdvocate.
- All the mouthfeels: Effervescent, light-bodied and with a juicy finish, this is one refreshing hybrid.
- How you’ll feel when drinking: Like a monk snowshoeing to a bold new heavenly frontier with a beer in- hand, as this style combines the traditional and the new and exciting.
- Recommended Recreation: Start planning your trip between Alaska and Belgium to compare just how great Anchorage’s Belgian-Brett magic is. But invite your friends - an adventure this tasty deserves to be shared!
Did not really dig this at all
So very very interesting. Can really taste the Chardonnay aging. Definite Brett tones to this as well.